Grand illusionist Cosentino might be a world-class escape artist, but six days ago, instead of his usual 60kg concrete block, he locked himself into a house in WA.
"We didn't want to disappoint fans - we took a risk and rolled the dice."
When Cosentino's Deception tour was postponed from June to August, fans were disappointed, but understanding.
"Every time you have to postpone or reschedule one show let alone a whole tour, it's very difficult," Cosentino told the Mail.
The tour was set to go ahead in early August, but as the time approached, there were whispers of a potential lockdown.
Cosentino's brother had been closely monitoring the COVID situation in their home state of Victoria - and after the first inkling of a lockdown, the team knew they'd have to make a decision - and fast.
"It's at the point now where you have to take the opportunity then and there. Tours are usually about planning and coordinating but that has almost gone out the door.
"It's a matter of 'there's a gap here we need to do the show now'."
"We don't want to disappoint fans - we took a risk rolled the dice."
So Cosentino and his cast and crew made the move, knowing there was a high chance the team would have to quarantine if things worsened.
This news was confirmed and the crew hunkered down at a property in WA where they're all able to isolate together.
Everyone's got to make a living - whether you're writing articles for a newspaper, working at cafe, a school principal - or a magician.- Cosentino
"For me to be able to have very quickly made it across the border with my cast and crew and have all of my trucks - it's nothing short of a miracle.
"We can't wait to perform. Audiences in WA are always appreciative of live entertainment so we love coming here and always make sure to put it on our tour.
"While we're locked down for 14 days our batteries will be fully recharged and we'll be ready for the show."
Cosentino added that many areas were affected by lockdown, with the arts being hit particularly hard.
"When lockdowns happen, it takes a long time for venues to open back up - and when they do, it's at 50 per cent, then slowly up to 75 - it can take two or three months to be back up to full capacity.
"Everyone's got to make a living - whether you're writing articles for a newspaper, working at cafe, a school principal - or a magician.
"I feel a sense of responsibility to my team and the fans."
With lockdowns impacting many across the world, Cosentino said the arts should be seen as essential work.
"I don't know why it's not seen as essential - don't we all flick on the tv? Don't we all turn on the radio - read a book, listen to a podcast? Aren't we consumed by it? To me it's really strange."
Cosentino's South West tour begins August 4 in Bunbury, followed by Mandurah - two places close to his heart.
"Bunbury was the first place where I performed a sold out show before anyone knew or cared who I was," he said.
"I was so nervous - somehow people came to see the show and there was pretty much a bum in every seat."
Cosentino also toured to Mandurah in his early career, and this time around, the Mandurah Performing Arts Centre has added a second show.
"I haven't been back in Mandurah for over 10 years - it's exciting to be back on this circuit
"Mandurah added an extra show, I was so happy about that - that's a miracle."
Throughout the experience of rescheduling his first tour, Cosentino had time to reflect on how the community can support those in the arts.
"Take the opportunity and come see us, please - come see shows, support the arts - who knows when interstate artists will be able to come back?
"It all comes down to passion and providing astonishment to the audience - that is what we have been working on for the past year - we want to give back that gift."
The South West dates for Cosentino's Deception tour are as follows:
- Bunbury Entertainment Centre - Wednesday August 4, 7.30pm
- Mandurah Performing Arts Centre - Sunday August 8, 7.30pm
- Mandurah Performing Arts Centre - Monday August 9, 7.30pm