UPDATE: Pinjarra shooter remanded in custody

The man alleged to have fired a gunshot at a Pinjarra home on Monday has been remanded in custody.

Michael Wayne Yates faced the Perth Magistrates Court on Wednesday, January 9, charged with committing an unlawful act with the intent to harm or endanger the life, health or safety of a person.

He was also charged with discharging a firearm.

Police launched a widescale search for the 51-year-old man on Monday, January 7 after a gunshot was reportedly fired at a Hampton Road home about 6am.

The Barragup man handed himself in to police on Tuesday morning, was arrested and charged in relation to the incident and taken into custody.

Mandurah Detective Senior Sergeant Trevor Troy said there were “multiple” children and adults present at the address at the time of the gunshot.

Senior Sergeant Troy said they believed at least one shot had been fired.

“We didn’t find evidence of additional shots being fired,” he said.

“The reverberation and echo may have given the impression of multiple shots.”

Yates has been remanded in custody until January 30 and will re-appear in the Perth Magistrates Court.

Mandurah detectives are still seeking the public’s assistance to identify a person believed to have met with the man on Monday. 

Senior Sergeant Troy said another person was driving a bright blue Ford Sedan when he met with the accused prior to the incident at 6am. The vehicle then fled the scene.

Anyone with any information should call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.