MARC evacuated due to electrical fire

The Mandurah Aquatic and Recreation Centre has been evacuated after a light panel shattered in the pool area causing “smoke and smouldering”.

MARC patron Gemma Clarke said she heard an explosion about 12.45pm.

“We heard an explosion and thought a bird had hit the glass,” she said.

“We looked up and a light panel had shattered –  there was smoke.”

An Emergency WA spokeswoman said the electrical fire had been extinguished and an electrician was on their way.

Patrons have been evacuated while the incident is assessed.