Plans to allow for further development at the heritage-listed Sutton Farm site have received the final approval from the City of Mandurah.
The plans will allow new developments along the northern and southern boundaries subject to a series of strict regulations.
The Sutton Farm, constructed in the 1870’s, is of high historical importance for its link to the Sutton and Cooper families, some of the earliest European families to settle in the Peel region.
It features a homestead, a single men’s quarter, a barn and a family graveyard, and is bounded by Apollo Place and Old Coast Road to the east, short stay accommodation units to the north, a canal to the west and vacant residential lots to the south.
The redevelopment of the area surrounding the three heritage buildings, has been up for redevelopment for several years, sparking concerns among the community about the preservation on the site’s historical nature.
The development plan approved by the City of Mandurah keeps the three historical buildings in the centre of a landscaped parkland area privately owned and managed but accessible to the public, as well as several Norfolk Island pines and olive trees in the northern side.
However, the areas along the northern and southern boundaries would be up for residential development as groupped dwellings, subject to a minimum lot size of 2800sqm and 1600sqm respectively.
Developments of single homes by private landowners wouldn’t be allowed to avoid it resulting in a mix of materials, forms and designs.
A minimum separation of six metres between the heritage buildings and any new developments would be required and developers should allow for the construction of a 6-metre vehicle access laneway to the rear of the any development.
Other building restrictions listed in the local development plan refer to principles regarding, height, built form, fencing, orientation, materials, vehicular access, car parking and separation from trees.