Rams cap off perfect season with last-second win in thrilling grand final | photos

One kick was all it took for Zayne Selkirk to cement himself in Rockingham Rams folklore.

The young midfielder was the hero in his side's thrilling Dudley Tuckey Cup grand final against South Mandurah on Sunday, using the last kick of the game to snatch victory from the Falcons' hands.

Down two points with less than 10 seconds remaining on the clock, Selkirk found the ball among a chaotic pack near the boundary line and threw it on his boot.

It hung in the air for what seemed both an eternity and a millisecond all in one, and Rams fans jumped from the edges of their seats when the ball sailed over the line to seal the win 9.12 (66) to 9.8 (62).

It was all smiles for the Rams on Sunday. Photo: Justin Rake.

It was all smiles for the Rams on Sunday. Photo: Justin Rake.

But the elation found on the faces of the Rams family was replaced with heartache for the young Falcons, who came so close to pulling off the David and Goliath narrative.

Just moments before Selkirk's incredible goal, Kilian Rawson had nailed his own to give South Mandurah their first lead of the game.

Just minutes remained on the clock and in the dying seconds it appeared the Falcons had done enough to secure one of the more unlikely victories you would ever see, but their joy was fleeting as the Rams put their own grand final hoodoo behind them.

While Selkirk's moment defined the game, Rockingham's win was built on a hot start.

The unbeaten minor premiers slotted the opening five goals of the game and it wasn't until 12 minutes into the second quarter that the Falcons registered their first.

Best on ground winner Fraser Millar was superb on the day, booting three goals all in a second quarter blitz as the Rams built the early lead.

Fraser Millar celebrates a goal with teammates. Photo: Justin Rake.

Fraser Millar celebrates a goal with teammates. Photo: Justin Rake.

But much like they had all year, South Mandurah refused to die wondering.

Cameron Gavin, Callum Dews and Cody Nelson combined for three goals on the cusp of half time and all of a sudden the Falcons had momentum heading into the break.

When Gavin goaled again early in the second it was game on, and Luke Jardine followed up to bring the Falcons within a straight kick.

However, Selkirk managed to find his first goal of the day late in the third term and keep a small amount of breathing space intact for the Rams.

That comfort evaporated within four minutes when Brody Wemm and Dews brought South Mandurah within two points, and from there a tussle ensued.

No side registered a score for the next 15 minutes, as a hard-fought tug-of-war raged on.

Sensing they needed to roll the dice, South Mandurah mustered one last push towards goal and a free kick to Rawson gave them the chance they were looking for.

Their fans erupted when he nailed the set shot, while Rams members put their heads in their hands as a second straight grand final choke looked on the cards.

But how quickly things can change.

The moment. Photo: Justin Rake.

The moment. Photo: Justin Rake.

Minutes later, it was the Rams crowd spilling onto the field as Selkirk captured the win with the day's final kick.

While the 2020 result won't go down in the Peel Football and Netball League records as an official premiership, you could still sense the sheer relief of a Rockingham club starved of the ultimate success since 1997.