PFNL Women's grand final: Falcons women dethrone Tigers to win first flag | photos, video

South Mandurah's women have finally snared the ultimate glory, winning their first premiership with a resounding victory over former champs Pinjarra on Saturday.

The two powerhouse clubs have clashed in each grand final since the women's competition's inception, and until today the Falcons had always come up short.

But that all changed when a defensive masterclass led by best on ground Leticia House helped them dethrone the Tigers, winning the ball game 1.3 (9) to 5.6 (36) in windy conditions.

House winning the best afield medal was befitting of the way the contest played out, as she marshalled a Falcons defence that never allowed Pinjarra a sniff.

Cholina Giblett, Jess Hunnam and Stacey Teariki were also impressive in the defensive half, with no goals from either side being kicked after half time.

But early on it was the forward prowess of Renee Hardie that had the Falcons off to a flyer.

She nailed the day's first goal less than two minutes into the contest, and just six minutes later she followed up to bag her second.

The two-goal flurry was significant in conditions that promised a low-scoring game, and everything seemed to be going right for the Falcons with Skipper Van Peer and Shanelle Jetta-Farmer among their best early.

It didn't take long into the second for South Mandurah to strike again, and this time it was Ebonee Hardie converting in the opening minute of the term.

Ebonee Hardie celebrates a goal. Photo: Justin Rake.

Ebonee Hardie celebrates a goal. Photo: Justin Rake.

That seemed to spark Pinjarra to life.

The Tigers finally found some consistent forward entries, but that unwavering Souths defence repelled them at will.

Pinjarra eventually broke through, however, with Jena Daniel bagging what would be their only goal for the entire contest.

It felt like the reigning premiers were about to make their move, but Anyssa Hardy broke their hearts on the cusp of half time.

The star Falcons forward slotted back-to-back set shots in the space of 80 seconds, giving her side a four-goal lead at the long break.

From there the contest became a scrap, with South Mandurah's half back line holding steady throughout.

Rain spattered the ground midway through the term, giving that stout defence and even stronger hold over Pinjarra's front six.

From there it was a disciplined South Mandurah side coming through to give Sol Daw his first flag as head coach.

The win tastes even sweeter knowing how close they've come on two occasions prior.