Man jailed over reckless driving while on suspended imprisonment term

Man jailed over reckless driving while on suspended imprisonment term

A man has been jailed for 12 months after reaching speeds in excess of 140km/h to evade police during a pursuit while he was subject to a suspended prison term.

Jason Lee Hoson appeared in the Mandurah Magistrates Court via video link from Casuarina Prison on June 19.

The 32-year-old pleaded guilty to four offences of reckless driving, failing to comply with a direction to stop, no authority to drive and being involved in an accident in which property was damaged.

Police prosecutor Tamara Read told the court Hoson had breached a suspended prison term imposed in October last year for driving while suspended charges.

The court heard Hoson was driving on Crystaluna Drive in Golden Bay around 9.40am on April 12 when he was clocked by a marked police car doing 24km/h over the speed limit.

Senior Constable Read said police directed Hoson to stop but he "accelerated rapidly" and turned left onto Marlin Way, where he stopped his car on a verge.

The court heard, when police caught up to Hoson, he attempted to drive away, spinning the tyres of his car before striking the front left side of the police vehicle, causing minor damage.

Senior Constable Read said he then "accelerated rapidly" again, driving at speeds in excess of 140km/h on Mandurah Road and travelling through red traffic lights.

Senior Constable Read added that Hoson attempted to turn right into San Remo and crashed into a traffic island before driving away again and eventually crashing into the front yard of a house.

The court heard Hoson got out of the car and ran towards the beach, away from police, but was arrested by police a short time later.

Hoson's lawyer, Neville Barber, said his client "panicked" but acknowledged the seriousness of the offences.

Dr Barber told the court Hoson had "mental health challenges" including ADHD, depression and bipolar and had "struggled with the use of meth on and off".

Dr Barber said his client's partner was due to give birth to their baby on August 1, and pleaded with the Magistrate to consider a "just" punishment, and not one that would be "crushing for Mr Hoson".

Mandurah Magistrate Lynette Dias described Hoson's behaviour as "dangerous".

"Dangerous to members of the public, dangerous to the officers involved and dangerous to yourself," she said.

Hoson was handed a mandatory six-month prison term for reckless driving and sentenced to an additional six months for breaching the suspended prison term.

He was also sentenced to four months in prison for failure to comply with a direction to stop and six months for driving while suspended, to be served concurrently.

Hoson was fined $150 and his licence was disqualified for two years and nine months.

His sentence will be backdated to April when he was remanded in custody.