The state and federal governments have confirmed this morning that an agreement has been reached to fund the Lakelands Train Station, with the much-needed public transport hub projected to open in 2023.
The issue of another station in the Mandurah region has been a hot topic of conversation for many years, with recent disagreements between Canning MP Andrew Hastie and WA Planning Minister Rita Saffioti over the funding split of the project.
However, an agreement has been reached for the federal government to commit 80 per cent of the $80 million facility's cost by investing $64 million, with the state to contribute the other 20 per cent, $16 million.
Construction is planned to start in early-2021. Initial modelling predicts the new station, to be built with access off Lake Valley Drive, will have 2300 daily boardings when the station opens in 2023, increasing to 3500 in 2031.
It will be built on land specially set aside during construction of the Mandurah Line and will include platforms and rail infrastructure over the existing lines, park and ride, kiss and ride and disability parking bays, a bus interchange and lockable cycling storage.
Mr Hastie said the project would create 200 jobs in construction and that he was glad the residents of Lakelands and surrounding suburbs would have a station close to home.
"This is a fantastic day for the people of north Mandurah," he said.
"I was first made aware that locals wanted a train station in Lakelands while doorknocking in 2016. Promises had been made to them, but progress had stalled years go. I said I would fight for the station.
"Many residents have told me how they bought homes or invested in the area because the development included a local train station. For some, that was 10 years ago. Now finally that promise will be kept."
Wednesday's announcement is part of a wider $868 million cash splash by the federal government on infrastructure in Western Australia.
Other projects to reach positive news in relation to funding include widening of the Mitchell Freeway and other road improvements in the Perth metropolitan region.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison said the eight projects would help drive jobs and the economy and deliver the roads and rail WA needed to help bust congestion.
Ms Saffioti said the station would be an asset to the Mandurah region.
"Lakelands Station will be a good addition to the Mandurah Line and METRONET, making it easier for more people to access public transport," she said.
"This railway line goes past the doorsteps of many residents of the City of Mandurah's northern suburbs, but it's not always convenient for them to access a train station.
"Through METRONET we are building new infrastructure - such as this new station and the new multi-story car park at Mandurah Station - that makes public transport a more desirable travel option."
Mandurah MP David Templeman said the state had successfully lobbied for an increased funding percentage from the Commonwealth.
"I am proud we have been successful and we can now work towards getting the project to its construction phase in early 2021," he said.
"Passenger numbers on the Mandurah Line continue to grow and the new train station, along with Mandurah Station's multistorey carpark, will help make the most of the Labor-built train line."
Murray-Wellington MP Robyn Clarke said residents in her electorate made use of the Mandurah line.
"A second station before Warnbro offers another way of accessing the train line," she said.
"For some commuters, it will mean a quick trip down Forrest Highway straight to Lakelands Station where they can then connect to the wider metro area."