PFNL finals: Pinjarra women keep Baldivis goalless to move into grand final

Pinjarra cemented their place in the inaugural Peel Football and Netball League Women’s grand final when they kept Baldivis goalless in a victory at Parnell Street Oval on Saturday.

The Tigers were on song as they bounced back from a loss to South Mandurah (one in which themselves were kept goalless) to record a stunning 6.3 (39) to 0.2 (2) preliminary final win, progressing through to what will be a groundbreaking grand final for the league.

The signs were bad for Baldivis when Tandamya Harper went down with an injury shortly after the first bounce, and things got worse when Pinjarra had the ball locked in their forward half for a 10-minute stretch, resulting in a goal to Vicki Page.

Jena Daniel was impressive in the victory. Photo: Justin Rake.

Jena Daniel was impressive in the victory. Photo: Justin Rake.

Baldivis was able to weather most of the storm outside of Page’s goal, however, with Kerrilee Brown and Sheila Wager putting in several big efforts as the Brumbies kept the damage to just the one goal for the quarter.

But the Tigers broke away in the second term, as Jena Daniel’s impressive day out around the ground turned into an impressive day on the scoreboard as well.

She was able to boot a pair of goals in the early stages of the term to see Pinjarra out to a dangerous lead, and it became an even taller order for Baldivis to come back when Hayley Cooper followed with a score of her own.

Baldivis went into the half time break crying out for a response, but they would come up short of getting one in the third as Pinjarra kept them scoreless again while Jessica Skwirowski booted a goal to stretch the lead to 31 points, an insurmountable one for the Brumbies to overcome.

Newly-crowned dual league best and fairest winners Kate Beswick and Jesse Salter were factors all day for the Tigers and they continued their work into the fourth quarter, where a goal from Kara Wogan-Browne put the icing on the cake for Pinjarra.

Baldivis notched their first score of the day late in the final term.

The Tigers will now head into their grand final game against South Mandurah looking for revenge after they were trounced by the Falcons in the qualifying final.