Alcoa workers opt to stay on strike, 80 per cent reject EBA offer

Alcoa workers at a protest in Pinjarra. Photo: Josh Cowling.
Alcoa workers at a protest in Pinjarra. Photo: Josh Cowling.

Striking Alcoa workers in Pinjarra and across the region have voted against accepting a new Enterprise Bargaining Agreement, with 80 per cent turned down the company’s proposal.

About 1600 workers have gone on indefinite strike over the last month in an attempt to ensure their job security and to maintain their current conditions.

The industrial action started on August 8, when about 1200 people gathered at Pinjarra’s local sporting grounds to state their objections.

Since then, Pinjarra workers have remained away from work, along with their colleagues from Alcoa’s Kwinana, Wagerup, Huntly and Willowdale facilities.

The Australian Workers Union and Alcoa have been locked in talks for the last 18 months, but the strike looks set to continue indefinitely.

AWU State president and Kwinana site convener Andy Hacking confirmed 80 per of those that voted on the EBA had rejected the terms.

An Alcoa spokeswoman said given the outcome of the vote, the company welcomed an alternative proposal from the AWU.

“We understand and are concerned by the impact the continued and unnecessary industrial action is having on our employees,” she said.

“We invite them back to work so they can restore their livelihoods while we work to bring this matter to a resolution.

“Our sites have contingency plans to ensure they can continue to operate during industrial action. 

“We estimate the industrial action impacted alumina production at our Western Australian refineries by approximately 15,000 tonnes in August, of the approximately 9 million tonnes we produce annually. We will continue to monitor the situation.

“We remain very grateful to our employees who are working to maintain safe operations.”

Hundreds of striking workers held a protest outside Canning MP Andrew Hastie’s Mandurah office on Friday morning.