‘Appalling’ record: Mandurah serial offender given more jail time for driving on life ban

Photo: Shutterstock.
Photo: Shutterstock.

A Mandurah man who was jailed for more than three years last week after setting a house on fire, has been given a longer sentence for driving on a lifetime ban. 

Cameron Ashley Warren pleaded guilty to six charges in the Mandurah Magistrates Court on Tuesday, including reckless driving and breaching bail, when he appeared via video link from Casuarina Prison.

Police prosecutor Sean Discombe told the court the 39-year-old father-of-one was disqualified from driving for the entirety of his life in Mandurah Magistrates Court on February 14, 2014.

Warren’s lawyer James Brash told the court his client’s traffic record was “appalling”.

Read More:

Senior constable Discombe told the court Warren was riding a Kawasaki motorcycle along Mandurah Road in Coodanup, with an altered vehicle identification number and no registration, about 6pm, on June 1, 2017.

A motorcycle rider in front of Warren, who was not using lights, caught the attention of officers who were driving by.

Police attempted to intercept the motorbike rider before Warren broke suddenly and skidded into the right side of the police car.

He attempted to ride off before hitting a median strip and landing in the bushes, receiving a concussion and fracturing his left-hand.

Mr Brash said Warren was a good worker, having worked in a FIFO role for seven years.

He said Warren had received substance abuse and relationship counselling in the past. 

Magistrate Anne Longden sentenced Warren to a further six months in prison and fined him $1,500, taking into account his early guilty pleas and the sentence handed down in the Supreme Court on August 2.

Warren was given a three-year and four-month prison sentence on August 2 after pleading guilty to igniting three stove-top gas burners to light a cigarette before leaving his Wannaup rental on Sovereign Place, causing about $50,000 damage. 

That incident, which took place on August 18, 2017, was committed while Warren was on a suspended imprisonment order.

Supreme Court Justice Anthony Derrick said the act was negligent and unnecessary.

Warren was made eligble for parole.