A much-touted event featuring Richard Dreyfuss appearing in Mandurah has been cancelled.
The “evening of fine dining, film tribute, movie themed classical music and interactions with Academy Award winning actor Richard Dreyfuss” was to have been held at the Mandurah Convention Centre on June 29 next year, with a Perth show tipped for the following evening.
Event organisers Jon Ring and Kevin Hodge posted news of the cancellation on their ‘Richard Dreyfuss Show Australia’ Facebook page – which has since been deleted – earlier this week.
“Due to logistical circumstances beyond the control of the endeavouring organisers, the Close Encounter shows with Richard Dreyfuss are now cancelled,” the post read.
The idea for the show started as a dare, according to Mr Ring, who told Mandurah Mail he managed to get Dreyfuss on the phone earlier this year.
Within months, Mr Ring and Mr Hodge had put together the format for the local show with the help of Hollywood ‘legends whisperer’ Karen Cadle.
While the Mail published news of the event early in November, confirmation that Dreyfuss had signed a contract was not provided.
When first contacted for comment about the local show, Ms Cadle said she didn’t know anything about the Mandurah event, but later said Dreyfuss had agreed to appear at the show.
In a phone call this week to Mandurah Mail, Mr Ring said the reason for the cancellation was down to insurance costs.
“Richard is a brilliant actor and a super character, we regret that on this occasion, we have failed to bring him to Western Australia,” organisers wrote on their promotional website.
Mr Ring said 50 tickets had been sold for the Mandurah show, and that they would be refunded from next week.
He said he was currently working on his next project – a big event he would announce in two to three weeks.