Beachgoers at Falcon will have access to the state’s sixth protected swimming area under a re-elected Liberal-led Government, Premier Colin Barnett revealed on Wednesday.
Speaking in Falcon with Dawesville Liberal candidate Zak Kirkup, Mr Barnett said the beach enclosure would be the first for Perth’s southern suburbs and would be a significant addition to the State Government’s extensive shark hazard mitigation strategy.
“The government has invested more than $33 million on shark hazard mitigation measures including research, public education, shark tagging, aerial patrols and the SharkSmart website,” Mr Barnett said.
“Beach enclosures are an important part of the strategy and are very popular with swimmers, surf lifesaving clubs and families.”
Mr Barnett said as with the existing beach enclosures, the government would provide $200,000 to the City of Mandurah, which would then be responsible for selecting the type enclosure and overseeing its installation.
The first enclosure was trialled in Old Dunsborough in the South-West and the government had helped fund additional enclosures at the Busselton foreshore, Middleton Beach in Albany and at Quinns Beach, north of Sorrento, where an enclosure would be installed this month.
The government contributed $400,000 to an enclosure at Sorrento Beach, which opened last month, more than those at other beaches because engineering challenges associated with the water depth and Hillarys’ seawall added to the cost.
“No single measure alone will protect water users from shark interactions, but a complementary suite of measures will reduce the risk,” the Premier said.
“The ability to swim and train within a protected area will make a significant difference to people’s peace of mind and enjoyment when undertaking ocean-based activities.”
READ MORE in this week’s Mandurah Mail.