Destruction and property damage caused by fires burning in the State’s South-West, has led to the activation of the Lord Mayor’s Distress Relief Fund (LMDRF).
The LMDRF is the recognised state emergency fund and provides relief for personal hardship and distress arising from natural disasters occurring within Western Australia.
The Board Chair, Lord Mayor Lisa Scaffidi, said the catastrophic fires have razed much of the township of Yarloop, and damaged parts of Waroona.
“Initial media reports suggest a significant number of houses have been lost, as well as buildings and infrastructure,” Ms Scaffidi said.
“I hope and pray people remain safe until the fire threat passes.”
The fund has been activated to raise and coordinate donations to support the victims of the fires.
“Just as people supported the community of Esperance recently, we need to pull together to assist residents of Yarloop and Waroona,” Ms Scaffidi said.
“This blaze has caused as much damage, if not more, than recent fires in Esperance, Parkerville and Roleystone combined.”
Through the Lord Mayor’s Distress Relief Fund, the community can help those who are affected by this disaster to rebuild their lives.
The fund is operated by an independent board and donations over $2 are tax deductable.
The costs of administering the fund are absorbed by the City of Perth, so all money raised will go directly to those who need it most.
Donations to the Waroona and District Fires Appeal can be made:
- via EFT: BSB: 306-035, Account: 2014474 over the counter at any BankWest branch or agency to the dedicated appeal account BSB: 306-035, Account: 2014474
- in person at the Customer Service counter at Council House, 27 St Georges Terrace, Perth
- on the phone via credit card on 9461 3886 during normal business hours
- by mail to LMDRF, Waroona and District Fires Appeal, City of Perth, GPO Box C120, Perth, WA 6839
The process for distributing funds will be announced at a later date and will be managed in conjunction with the affected Shires.
For more information go to:
- Website www.appealswa.org.au
- Facebook www.facebook.com/Distress.Relief.Fund